Saturday, November 29, 2014


DAN LAMBERT

Did You Ever?

Did you ever really love me?
I think these words, and wonder…
Am I being fair to you?
Perhaps the better question is:
Did I ever really love you?

Does love require the convergence of bodies?
If so, then we loved each other intermittently, like seasons
Spring became passion
Summer became love
And Fall has withered into indifference

Does love require the convergence of souls?
If so, then we loved each other three times per day or more
Love was transmitted through the air
And transported from our throats to our ears
With the cold efficiency of microchips

Love buzzed in my ear courtesy of a blinking Bluetooth:
The name now seems so apt
My teeth are blue from missing you

Does love require the convergence of cultures?
If so, then we loved in ebbs and flows
Like waves crashing upon distant shores
Or a pulsing circuit
Connecting and then breaking, over and over

My heart is like that circuit now
Breaking, yes, but also buzzing with unanswered questions
And aching with doubt and possibility

Did we ever really love each other?
Will we ever really love again?
Is love like a current that we tap in to
Or a well that we draw from?
Has the current been breached
The reservoir of electricity damaged beyond repair?
Has the well run dry
Its stone walls drying in the sun?

Have we burned the forest of love?
Salted the earth so it will never grow again?
Did you ever really love me?
Did I ever really love you?
These questions sear my heart
And burn my soul
Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment