Saturday, March 29, 2014


DON KINGFISHER CAMPBELL

Cosmic

When I look at the ceiling
I see thousands of plaster
points casting small shadows

Like the surface of the moon
observed by glancing upward
from this earthly brown sofa

When I open the front door
I gaze upon dozens of white
clouds travelling across blue sky

Like pedestrians on a sidewalk
trying to cross a wide street
whose boundaries are out of sight

When I go back inside I stare
at my hand and behold skin
and spots and lines and hairs

Like the exterior of a planet
I have known for half a century
shifting slowly again to granule

When I swing out the same portal
at night my eyes ascend once more
into a darkness without many stars

And realize the lights we've invented
pale next to the faint specks made
distant by design and simply ask why

No comments:

Post a Comment