Saturday, March 29, 2014


TOTI O'BRIEN

Last Dinner

Wine more
than religion
taught me true
compassion
the certainty
that they all were
or would be my
brothers.

Wine was
lightness
uplifting from
daily cares
immediate
release of
all burdens
communion.

Well I didn’t
have to get
drunk or
besides myself
I only flew 
slightly
above my
usual ground.

I was fluent
in my speech
smooth in all
of my moves
I was peaceful
weak non
belligerent
and sincere.

Empathetic ‘n
ready to forget
to forgive
knowing that
nothing matters
or is really
worth pain
nothing lasts.

So I spoke of
eternity while
I though of
impermanence
I mentioned
unconditional
love I
claimed not

to belong to
this world ‘n
I didn’t truly.
While I shared
quite unselfishly
my daily loaf
‘n I stared at
my face

mirrored by
the scarlet disk
at the bottom
of my cup. It
looked murky
and far. My
face looked
like blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment